Quinoa stuffed tomatoes
Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes are a great treat when big juicy beefsteak tomatoes are in season! This dish is quick and easy to put together, but the real trick is to bake the tomatoes long and slow so their juices seep into the quinoa. This makes a delicious meal!!
- 6 ripe medium beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped Italian parsley
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- ½ cup chopped mint
- ⅓ cup shredded basil leaves
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1½ to 2 cups cooked quinoa
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- With a sharp knife, cut the stem end tops out of the tomatoes. Cut them in a circular motion at an angle. Gently squeeze the tomatoes over a bowl to remove most of the seeds and excess liquid. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the parsley, scallions, mint, basil, lemon zest, 1 to 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Gradually mix in the quinoa and blend well.
- Stuff the tomatoes with the quinoa, packing the stuffing into the cavities of the tomatoes with your fingers. Place tomatoes on a cookie tray lined with parchment paper. Drizzle olive oil over the tomatoes and the stuffing. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour depending on the size of the tomatoes, or until the tomatoes are very soft. Remove from the oven and let them cool.
- Serve on a platter garnished with fresh basil leaves and drizzled with a little extra olive oil.