- 2 chicken breasts chopped into bite size (approx.1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons pesto, divided
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup zucchini, quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked orzo
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14.5 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt *
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- fresh parsley
- Heat olive oil in a large NONSTICK pan over medium high heat until very hot. Toss chicken with 1 tablespoon pesto and add to pan along with onions, carrots and zucchini. Sauté for three minutes then add red bell pepper, orzo and garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, 2 tablespoons pesto, chicken broth, chicken bouillon and seasonings. Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 8-12 minutes, or until vegetables and orzo are tender, stirring every 5 minutes so the orzo doesn’t burn, covering pot after each stir.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Garnish with fresh Parmesan and parsley (optional).